What a difference a year makes. Freshblog turned two with minimal fanfare and no attention. The site turns 3 ranked just the wrong side of 3000 (out of 30 million) on T'rati, with 400 + subscribers, two additional contributors, and 100,000+ total page views....
Now, I realise this is an hour in the life of the Instapundit, and that my blogstats are not so much to brag about. Let's just say that I'm enjoying this a lot more now that there's a community of readers and contributors here, and now that the content is original, & useful to readers. It's great to open Gmail and find some comments, and the occasional "hey, did you see this & will you write about it...." Blogging is a little easier when the content (even some of the content) comes to you, instead of requiring you to go to it.
Some thank you's in the form of birthday link-love, because the content, energy and ideas have come from out there:
- Anyone who's left a comment, link, trackback or e-mailed to give me a heads-up. Thanks! Keep the good stuff coming.
- Greg Hill, Author of Freshtags & Freshblog Contributor, for letting me be the P.R. man for some damn fine hacks.
- Fritz from Cycle.icio.us. Freshblog contributor and the man who can put Technorati mini in the sidebar of your blog.
- Johan Sundstrom, Scripter extraordinaire, who's greasemonkey script for categories survived the 0.6.4 upgrade and corners the market for integrated tagging.
- Singpolyma, whose collection of blogger hacks and custom version of Freshtags keeps the frontier of blogger customisation rolling back daily.
- Ted Ernst, who along with Marnie Webb provided the original tools and information that got me in this mess.... enabling the first "Del.icio.us for Categories" post on April 20th, '05.
- Ken Dyck, creator of the Xblogthis bookmarklet that I modified to generate del.icio.us tags
- Julie Meloni, author of must-have blogger companion volume Blogging in a Snap, which you should go to Amazon and purchase immediately. Best $16 you'll spend this year.
- Pete Hopkins, who saw fit to link Freshblog on Blogger Buzz. Much appreciated!!
- Top-Flight Blog Hackers Improbulus, Jasper and Phydeaux3, all of whom provide info and tools that are advanced, sophisticated, and well worth a feed subscription.
- All 400 Freshblog subscribers (and the friends that you're going to tell to sign up too?...) Your interest, energy and willingness to share your great ideas & efforts are appreciated. I'm happy to do what I can to get your hacks out there, so keep 'em coming.