Blogger Hacks, Categories, Tips & Tricks

Monday, July 25, 2005
43 things...
So... discovered 43 Things via i-marco's tag cache for "blog." Looks like a great interactive community, & the limit of "43 things" per user will ration the interaction, raise the quality, & force users to be considerate with what they post. Interesting, esp. in comparison to the Linkfilter model of earned experience points, levels of experience, and daily rations of contribution points.

What do you want to do with your life? It is not an easy question to answer – and you shouldn’t have to answer alone. Browse 43 Things to find out what others want to do. You might find some goals you share. Click the “I want to do this” button to add a goal to your list. Got an idea for a new goal? Just type it in the text box on the homepage or at the bottom of any page on the site. Bam. Now, it’s your thing.


My first "thing" is to ask for help with the del.icio.us drop-down menu that I'd like to use here, but don't know how to build. Not one of the 43 most significant things I want to accomplish in my life, but hey, it's a start...

When you post a goal, you're able to contribute to someone else's goal, & so, quid-pro-quo, I have posted a link to my categories post for the folks who want to learn to tag.

Am interested to see that these posts are taggable too. Looks like the site will keep track of how I've tagged my "want" posts so that I can navigate them, as well as giving me the chance to see how other people have tagged & recorded those same posts.

Thinking about the LA Times Wiki, Linkfilter & other recent preoccupations, I realise that I'm v. interested in how people are carefully crafting the available technology to build civil communities. Perhaps making folks think before they speak is one possible way forward?

p.s. - Is the limit on "things" 43 for a reason, or is it random?

Update 7/26: Ask & ye shall receive!! Many thanks to Mark at Escape from Obsession for encoding the drop-down menu for del.icio.us tags & sharing his efforts with the world. Much appreciated!!


Posted at 4:51 PM by John.
1 Comments:
<    >
Blogger Unknown said...
John,

What kind of drop down menu do you want for your categories? Do you want one like I have on my blog or do you want a more advanced drop down?


eXTReMe Tracker