Blogger Hacks, Categories, Tips & Tricks

Tuesday, April 04, 2006
One-Click Icons Losing Their Cool?
There's a backlash against the social bookmarking one-click icon in your post-footer. Michael at Binary Bonsai calls it Digg-whoring. He cites WG, who note the overall ugliness of the buttons, and their similarity to the "add to your reader" buttons that can get messy (and were recently retired from Freshblog.) I would add that I used to have search links for individual post inbounds too, but they went the way of all things a while back, in the interests of streamlining the template.

I guess they're right. Del.icio.us users are going to bookmark your stuff if they like it, whether or not you have an icon... and I'm no more likely to get slashdotted with the icon than I was without it.... don't make me beg.... er... Let's just say that I got into this last June as an extension of the del.icio.us categories method, because I can't use bookmarklets, & so for that specific purpose the del.icio.us icon will probably stick around long after I've retired the newcomers.....

Filed in:
Posted at 8:24 PM by John.
6 Comments:
<    >
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I agree with that view. Having a lot of buttons causes confusion in the readers. I put the socializer (http://ekstreme.com/socializer/) in the post footer for that.

<    >
Blogger John said...
John,

Checked that out, & you're right that it cleans up your template, but doesn't it just displace the icons to an intermediapt page?

<    >
Blogger Mark K. Sprengel said...
I have a few at the bottom of my posts with a link to more. This goes to the permalink for the post with the other bookmarks listed as text only.

<    >
Anonymous Anonymous said...
You´re right. And you have to be in the post page, because if you are on the homepage you´ll bookmark that, not the post that you liked.
It has its pros and cons.

<    >
Blogger ycc2106 said...
Agree that it can become...heavy, no need to exagerate. Specially if it's animated. But I'm sure you haven't been stuck in a company where you aren't allowed to bookmark have you?

<    >
Blogger Greg said...
Here's a quick and dirty hack for the all the Digg-whores out there ...

It makes it so readers can select text and have it added to the notes field, or default to the first 255 characters .


eXTReMe Tracker