Please continue to leave your comments here alerting me to your great hacks, and by all means add your hack or mod to the wiki. Thanks!!
A master-list of all the blogger hacks that I'm aware of, updated frequently to reflect the latest in blogger hackology. If the instructions or implementation on a hack that appeals to you is unclear, please e-mail & I'll try to help.
If there's no credit next to the link, the hack is one that I wrote. If there's a credit, you'll be taken to the blog of the hack-author to enjoy their creative modifications to blogger.
If you have a hack to contribute, either leave a comment, send me a trackback, or e-mail me.
- Del.icio.us Categories & Supporting Technology:
- Categories using Bookmarklets
- Categories using BlogThis!
- Categories using the Blogger "post template" option for tag entry - from Ayub.
- Categories using the Blogger link field for tag entry - from Rahul Gupta
- Categories highlighting the use of the Del.icio.us Firefox Plugin - from Blogger Tips & Tricks
- Sidebar "Tagroll" feed of your categories from Del.icio.us
- FreshTags: Context Sensitive Category Menus for your Sidebar:
- FreshTags: A context-sensitive sidebar display of your tagged content.
- FreshTags for Wordpress, from Singpolyma Technical Blog.
- Del.icio.us Categories using Firefox & Greasemonkey:
Categories using Greasemonkey: Basic Script to add tags to your posts.
- Greasemonkey Script v2. with added options for styling, and tags that return to the "tag entry" field when you open a post to edit it. By Browservulsel
- Greasemonkey Script v3. Post to del.icio.us from inside your blogger account, and auto-populate the del.icio.us submission form with your tags. By Ecmanaut See also revised Freshblog How-to
- In-Blog Categories using .js - See Marc Morales, and later posts that describe the evolution of the system. In fact, hit up his October Archives and read back as far as the 23rd. All good stuff.
- In-Blog Categories using .js, with integrated in-post search results. From Pappmaskin Diare Techblog, explored and explained further by Gretchen at YLCF
- In-Blog Categories using .js. Take the feed for each del.icio.us tag, turn it into a script, & publish the script in a pre-dated post on your blog. From Naked Sex Monkey
- Del.icio.us2Blogger In-Blog Categories using .js. In-post search results in a single dynamic post - from Phydeaux3. Original Version: Comprehensive 3-part how-to. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. See also the how-to for the Tag Cloud
- Labelr, by Amit Upadhay. Integrated and easy categories using .js
- Collapsible Sidebar display for categories - from 3Spots
- Asynchronous Blogger Categories - by Aditya
- Categories using Google Blog Search:
- Categories using Google Blog Search - from Orangewise
- Categories using Google Blog Search & keywords in your post titles, from NetCF2.0
- Categories using Google Blog Search & Technorati tags as your keywords, from Skeptic Rant
- Categories using Google Blog Search, with a .js sidebar menu, by Taher.
- Categories using Technorati Tag Search:
- Categories using Technorati Tags, and my Technorati Personal Bookmarklet
- Sidebar Menu for the Technorati Category Method - from The Church at the Gate
- Technorati for Categories Explored, by Improbulus
- Manual Categories:
- Categories without bookmarking - from Virtual Scratchpad
- Manual Categories - Manually add your permalinks to a master-list post for each category. From Theatre of Noise.
- Manual Categories with slick expand & contract sidebar menus - from A Consuming Experience.
- Manual Categories using a second blog - from Rangga
- Other Category Methods:
- Categories using multiple blogs - from OldCola
- Categories for self-hosted Blogger Blogs, using PHP - by Moshare
- Hacks to Show / Hide Post Content:
- Blogger's Expandable Post Summaries Hack
- Blogger's Show / Hide Hack (leaves post titles only on your blog)
- Inline Post Expansion - from Aditya
- Show whole post on post page, then link back to main page - from No Fancy Name
- .js based method w/ multiple show / hides possible - from Blogger Categories
- Apply Stylesheets to your Blog:
- Print View for your Content using CSS - from You've Been Haacked
- Print View w/ possibilities for "stylesheet switcher" - from Aditya
- Search Visibility & SEO:
- Notify your MSN contacts of new Blogger Posts - from Immeria
- Optimise your Page Titles
- Use wbloggar to optimise your post titles - from digital inspiration
- Search Your Blog:
- Native Blog Search - Pull Google Blogsearch results into your sidebar - by Aditya
- Ajaxified Google Blogsearch - by CJ Millisock
- Search for Related Posts on the Create Post Page w/ Greasemonkey - by Aditya
- Recent Comment Hacks:
- List of Recent Comments on whole blog - from Digital Inspiration
- Customisable List of Recent Comments - from Theatre of Noise
- Blogger Recent Comments - from Singpolyma
- Comment Submission Hacks:
- In-post comment form, Cocomment Compatible - from Singpolyma
- In-line comments with images / icons - from Ecmanaut
- In-line comments with images, quicktags & live preview - from Basang Panagini
- In-line comments (download zipped as RAR file) - from Azer Koculu
- Comment Feeds:
- Set up a Comment Feed for your blog using mail to rss
- Comment Feed using multiple blogs - from Digital Inspiration
- Comment Feed using Google Groups - from Shantanuo
- Blogger Recent Comments - from Singpolyma
- Comment Editing:
- Add a comment-edit icon in blogger - from dunpanic
- Edit Comments Greasemonkey Script - from Browservulsel
- Edit Comments Admin Console Icon - from A Consuming Experience
- Edit a Single Comment - from A Consuming Experience or Blogger Templates
- Comment Formatting Hacks:
- Highlight Author / Owner Comments - from Aditya
- Highlight Owner, w/ Profile Pics - from Singpolyma
- Grammatically Correct Comment Count - by Aditya
- Clickable Post Titles:
- Clickable Post Titles
- Clickable Post Titles - from TitaniumGeek (same hack, different day!)
- Archive Menu Hacks:
- Drop-Down Menu for Archives
- Reverse archives in a drop-down menu - Roveberg hack.
- Reverse archives display in a flat list - Witfits, about halfway down the page.
- Reverse archives hack offered on the Blogger Hacks page.
- Freshtags for Archives
- Other Site Navigation:
- Calendar for Blogger, available in two versions from Ecmanaut. version1. version2.
- Drop-Down Menu for Recent Posts
- Alphabetical "Index" List of all posts on a page - From Never Too Old
- In-blog searchlet using Google Blog Search - from Cycle.icio.us
- Next & Previous "Date" Links - from Ecmanaut. Simulate next & previous post links for blogger.
- Blog Navigator Next & Previous Post Links - by Greg Hill
- Random Post Link - from Caso Pathologico
- List of All Previous Posts - from Blogger University
- Blogger Interface Mods:
- Keep the correct time when publishing drafts - from Browservulsel.
- Auto-Post on a given date using e-mail - from A Consuming Experience
- Layout / Graphics:
- Change your Template
- Change your Header Graphic - from gtdwannabe
- Randomise your Header Graphic with .js - from William Bontrager
- FlickrFont - Header images of individual letters from Flickr - by Greg Hill
- Scrolling lists in your sidebar - from BananaStew
- Randomise Header Graphic or Tag Line with .js - From No Fancy Name
- Clickable Post Titles
- Drop-Down Menu for Recent Posts
- Drop-Down Menu for Archives
- Estimate the Reading Time for Posts - from Caso Pathologico
- Icons to bookmark your posts on 6 social bookmarking services - Freshblog
- Icons to bookmark your posts on 85+ social bookmarking services - from 3Spots
- Markit post-footer bookmarking buttons, w/ notes - by Greg Hill
- Reverse the order of posts on main & archive pages - from Caso Pathologico
- Sidenotes and offset text-boxes
- Improve your graphics / add a favicon
- Add a favicon as a .png - from TitaniumGeek
- Tagging & Folksonomy:
- Tag posts from inside Blogger for Word - from gtdwannabe
- Technorati Tag Generator - from Rhys Wynne
- Tagalong Technorati Tag Generator - by Long Zheng
- Tagging your Posts
- Technorati Tags in BlogThis! - from Ken's Meme Deflector
- One-Click Posting to Del.icio.us
- Tag Overlay, by Greg Hill. See how someone's tags match up with a site.
- Syndication & Feeds:
- Upgrade Your Feed - Feedburner. Better stats, & integrated customiseable pinging.
- One-click add to Google Reader - From Cycle.icio.us
- Set up a Comment Feed for your blog
- Hacks to backup your Blog:
- Backup your last 100 posts using your feed - from Ecmanaut
- Blogger Backlinks:
- Custom Blogger Backlinks (revised) by Jasper at Browservulsel.
- Custom Blogger Backlinks (revised) by Singpolyma
- Recursive Backlinks by Greg
- Nav-bar Hacks:
- Use CSS to hide the Navbar - from Blogger Templates. I interpret this as a TOS violation & don't recommend it.
- Comment out the navbar - from Tygar-blog. Ditto.
- Customise the color of the navbar so that it works with your template - from blogkardesligi
- Build the nav-bar into your template- From Saady (see his comments for how-to)
- Show / Hide the Navbar with Hover-over - from Bloggeratto
- Other Hack Collections:
- 3 consecutive posts w/ multiple hacks - from Witfits. 1,2,3
- Spicing it Up from Saady (templates, tagboards, counters, & a cool nav-bar hack.)
- List of hacks from Sushi-Delight.
- Dave Goodman's List of Blogger Hacks
organize scattered thoughs and make it philosophy!
here is a handy link to hack.
Another Blogger Hack suggestion that you might want to consider. If you have a list of links in your sidebar that you occasionally update (e.g. favorite posts on your blog, favorite links on the web), the blogger template makes you republish the entire site just to modify that list. You can get around that problem with the "object" tag. Another benefit is that you can put a longer list into a smaller space with a scrollbar.
Create a separate html document with your link list in it (use your blogger template as a starting point if you want it to look consistent). Post it somewhere public (like on your web server) and put a link to it inside the "object" tags.
Take a look at my blog for some examples. I use it for favorite outside links, favorite posts, and even a blogroll.
There are some caveats (like if the html document isn't in the same domain as your blog, Internet Explorer may have trouble). I plan to post a more detailed description at some point ... unless you get around to it first.
One addition comment: I cannot find instructions on your site on how to contribute new blogger hacks, is commenting here the way?
Adding calendar navigation to your Blogger template, Blogger "edit template" button user script, Blogger: writing proper plurals with CSS 2 and a (not strictly blogger-specific, but still useful) post on making transparent PNGs work in Internet Explorer too.
This time I took on the task of improving Farrago Recent Comments. I am happy with the results: the code is more readable, self-contained, commented, supports other date formats, etc.
Hmmm... what's next I wonder? I'm actually quite happy with the functionality of Blogger at this point.
Could be useful for review blogs, or other blogs, where the title of the entry is more important than the date it was posted on.
What if at the top of the blogger template one defined a string = BlogItemTitle with the first (or last) X characters truncated. And that string were used in place of BlogItemTitle everywhere else. Then one could put category names in the first (or last) X characters of every title, and they would be invisible for everyone, but could be used for sorting. Would this work?
Live preview and quicktags for my inline comments form
and I also have a backlinks hack here: http://singpolyma-tech.blogspot.com/2006/01/new-backlinks-hack.html
Links updated. Thanks for the heads-up!!
Blogger help offer two soultions for expandable post.
1. Show Hide http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=897
Love the blog.
Sign in to blogger, & select change settings > formatting. At the top of the formatting page is a section titled "show."
To show 2 posts on the main page, change the dropdown over from days to posts, & select 2 as the quantity.
Your recent posts list will still show the titles of the previous 10 posts. There will still be 1 post on the post page, and your archive pages will still show everything from the given month, but the main page will only show your 2 most recent posts....
Hope this helps....
The Add to Any button.
It's basically all the feed readers' subscription buttons combined into one. Very useful.
How do I add that 's' for when blogcommentnumber != 1?
Social Bookmarking on Blogger/Blogspot
This place is a good repository for blogger hacks. Consider adding this your list.
i'll email it to you leave your email address at http://dariuscole.blogspot.com
it contains a lots of information, especially for the beginner in the blog world :)
um.. and maybe you can add my page here: http://qureyoon.blogspot.com/2006/06/custom-view-using-blogger-tag_30.html
since i think it's usefull for some beginner :P (i'm a beginner too :P)
thank you ^^
*cheers* from indonesia c|_|
I hope someone else will also find it useful.
Well, I want it all. But, I can't get all 3 codes to play together and get along. The worse that happened is it displayed weird naked code and the best senario I had 2 sets of comment links for each post...one for peek-a-boo and one that opens up the pop-up window. Can all three be merged into a nice neat bundle?
Here's a thought: how about using Hearsay for each post.
Normally, Hearsay will grab and display comments from your whole blog (via your comments RSS feed).
But, using thom's awesome comments parser, you could set up a separate Hearsay for each post. Just point Hearsay at the parsed feed of each post on the page instead of your comments blog.
For example, you could put this in blog template where you want the comments listed out:
<div id="recent-comments-<$BlogItemNumber$>" ><center><br/><br/><br/>Please wait ... <BR/>loading comments.<BR/><BR/><img src="http://ghill.customer.netspace.net.au/snake_transparent.gif"/>
(Note that you'll need to include the header code and CSS as per the Hearsay instructions).
This will list out details of the recent comments for each post. It will work on the main page, archive page or post page. Since the comSize is set to zero, you won't get any of the actual comment. The comCount of ten means you'll get ten comments per post (set this to whatever works for you). You can use CSS to style the list as you see fit.
Not sure if this is 100% what you're after, but it might get the creative juices flowing!
Blogger v3.0 (the new Blogger)
Blogger v2.0 (The Now Classic Blogger)
I'm using NEO for blogger. At the same time, i'd like my posts to be alphabetized after I click on the labels. Any idea or direction how to do that?
Initially, (and still) I wanted to REPLACE the dated blog archive list with a list of JUST titles. I think the quadruple-nesting is cumbersome and does not encourage readers to click. (I write blogs frequently). Isn't there a way to replace the standard blog archive list with a list of titles, most recent on top? I did this in my previous blog (not hosted--my own) with just html. I know someone has to know how to do this, regardless of whether Blogger cares about it.
Thanks for any insight.
I add element label at post region and put this code
:if cond='data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl'
in the label1 widget code,:
and closing with
and voila...., a have TOC
see my blog
by the way, keep writing on dude.. I'll follow you via Rss reader.
i've some s cripts and blogger hacks on blogger visit
you rock man..
I have tried on my site: www.Prashsoft23.blogspot.com