Blogger Hacks, Categories, Tips & Tricks

Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Technorati Categories
Improbulus explores and develops the principles involved in using Technorati's tag search for categories on your blog.
This new method, which I've been trying out since I discovered that Technorati have introduced much more powerful tag searching, should involve much less work going forward (always a good thing in my book), and it can even pick up your old tagged posts, but it still takes some time and thought to set up.

If you're curious, you can see the new system in action on this test blog (opens in a new window). It looks much like the manual system at the right hand side of this page, but peek under the skirt (as some would say!) and it's quite different.
For more, see:
and Improbulus's promised post 2, (link to follow!) This comes at an opportune time when Technorati are seeking feedback, & giving us the opportunity to respond to their service in a user survey. This functionality ought to be at the top of the list of suggested new features!
Posted at 8:09 AM by John.
2 Comments:
<    >
Blogger Greg said...
If Technorati were serious, they'd let us get our tags back via a JSON feed - just like the good people at delicious. Then we wouldn't need to worry about hard-coding tags in the sidebar. Hell, even RSS would be a start ... though we'd probably need to peel the AdSense out of the feeds first :-)

<    >
Blogger Santo said...
I love this method. I tried several other category methods (using blogsearch, caterblogger), but this one is the best for me. I had a problem after I retagged my posts to fit categories and none of the new tags were showing up on my old posts. I contacted Technorati, and although they said they couldn't help, a few days later it looked like they did a new crawl of my site, my tags were updated, and I was off and running. Thanks a million!

http://robotsandwrestlers.com/


eXTReMe Tracker