Blogger Hacks, Categories, Tips & Tricks

Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Possible Blogger Image Hack
Never occurred to me to try this, but I sure will now. Stick around, you might Learn Something::
It looks like I can add images to other parts of this page, for instance the sidebar, by uploading the images into a post that I only save as a draft, finding out the URL to the image in that post and then simply using it elsewhere in the HTML.


Posts don't have URL's 'til you publish them... (I had to know that for some reason a while back...) but I guess the images in drafts have to have URL's before / during the pasting process? I'll try it on my test blog, maybe. If you try it, hit the comments & let me know whether it flies. We may have just cracked the "external image hosting sucks" bug that plagues us here at blogspot!!

Filed in: , , ,
Posted at 3:33 PM by John.
6 Comments:
<    >
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...
Clue me in: Why does external image hosting suck?

<    >
Blogger John said...
Alright, maybe "sucks" was the wrong word, but I'm not crazy about having to log in somewhere else to upload template images, & I'm a little envious of server people w/ their neat folders & streamlined loading &c.... (neurosis alert... soothing music, dark room....)

I guess I'd like to be able to sign in once & manage everything on the site, is all.....

<    >
Blogger Singpolyma said...
Sure, I do that, you just upload the image into a new post and then grab it's URL without actually posting... that's where the background on my techblog and my profile picture are both stored.

<    >
Blogger Johan Sundström said...
The downside to doing it at Blogger is of course that they then get smashed about a bit in the JPEG encoding, which is destructive in nature -- to make images smaller. There is no check on whether that actually succeeds, so if you upload a really slim, tiny PNG or GIF image (say, an icon), it will actually grow in size besides degenerating in looks (JPEG artifacts). (See the fuzzy flag icons at nakedsexmonkey for an example of just that.)

ImageShack can solve that problem (sinmce they keep images fully intact), and I believe their Firefox extension lets you upload things without ever logging in elsewhere first too, just by context menu clicks.

<    >
Blogger Singpolyma said...
The background on my tech blog is 1-pixel high and seems to show up just fine after being stored on blogger. I think the key is that each image is stored under multiple different URLs, and you have to pick the right one. Thus far I've always picked the biggest one and never had a problem.

<    >
Blogger Marcia said...
when I wanted a pic on my profile, I posted it to my blog, snagged the url, put it in my profile, and then deleted the post. And I've made my friends do the same. Never had any problems with it.


eXTReMe Tracker