Blogger Hacks, Categories, Tips & Tricks

Thursday, March 03, 2005
Expat Accent...
I don't sound like the people around me. I look like them, for the most part, except that I need a major haircut, but I don't sound like them.

Normally, this is not an issue of consequence, but over the past couple of days I've had some interesting "flashbacky" experiences of the sort that occured regularly when I was fresh off the boat. They made me want to respond in interesting ways.
  1. The "where are you from?" question, eight million times.
  2. The "how you doin', Mate?" impersonator who thinks that mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery - and keeps it up for much of the day. I LOVE that!!
  3. The "you're unusual... I think I'll just giggle" 'phone correspondent.
I only bring it up because it seems to have happened a lot in the last 36 hrs.... I wonder if my accent has become more pronounced?
Posted at 10:20 AM by John.
1 Comments:
<    >
Blogger alranson said...
where are you in the mid-atlantic?
I think it's catching. I've been here 2.5 years and only recently have had great trouble making myself understood with the locals.


eXTReMe Tracker